Go to course website
Guidance on course project
- Project proposal
A written proposal is about 3-4 pages long, including the following components
The format of the proposal does not have to be fixed; but you need to state very clearly the problem you are going to address and how are you going to solve the problem.
- Title with your name and the name of the course.
- Abstract: a brief description of the motivation and your research design.
A structured abstract is preferred, which includes "Motivation", and "Proposed work".
- Background: introduction of RELATED work. Use this section to show that you UNDERSTAND what has already been done in the area, and you are working to extend that body of work.
- Research design: a detailed description of how you plan to solve the problem you proposed, including the methodology, resources (tools and databases, if you are going to use them), and the evaluation of your method. Divide your big plan into several specific smaller ones and address how you are going to achieve each specific Aim. List a time-line indicating how progress will be made on the project.
- Results (if you already achieved some)
- Discussion/Summary: anything that you have not mentioned yet, such as the expected results, the risk of your project, etc.
- Bibliography (you need to have at least 5 references)
- Proposal class presentation
- ~10 mins for each proposal presentation, and a few mins for discussion.
- Slides are required for the presentation.
- Final report and presentation
- Include your results in the final report.
- 10-15 mins for each presentation.
- Submission of your final report and results (send by email)
Please prepare a package (a zip or tar file) that includes the following:
Send me anything that helps me evaluate your performance!!
- Your final project report (a word document or tex file).
- Your slides for the final project presentation.
- The codes you wrote for the project, the key data you used, and the results you derived. A simple readme file is also required. If you have big files that cannot be included in the package, please indicate so (e.g., you may want to tell me where I can find them if you have them on some server).